Re: systemd bug closed - next steps?

Rob Owens writes:
> I submitted a general bug regarding packages which require changing
> your init system to systemd.  I pointed out that this runs counter to
> Debian's goals of supporting multiple init systems.

No, it doesn't.  Any individual package can depend on any other package.
Unfortunately, many upstreams are writing their code in such a way as to
require that when their software is packaged for Debian the resulting
package must depend on systemd features.  The only solutions for this
are to either convince upstream authors to change their ways or to make
other init systems able to emulate systemd to the extent necessary.

If you can find packages that gratuitously depend on systemd file
specific bugs against those packages.  When the systemd dependency is
deeply embedded in the upstream source, though, there is nothing the
package maintainer can do about it.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com