Jessie and Systemd integration

Thanks very much, everyone.

I especially appreciate the dependency information with no bias. Just the facts is always appreciated on an emotional issue such as this.

The truth is that I can live with a stray library or a shim - but the rest leaves me concerned.

Setting aside all of the controversy, there seems to be one undeniable design fact. Unless I am overlooking something relevant, Systemd is adding a single point of failure on a critical process chain. On a desktop, I don't care, but on a 24/7 server that is something I really can't afford. Any server will eventually fail, but I don't feel comfortable risking cron timing, startup and logging failure all in one swoop by having systemd control everything.

I know you can disable portions of systemd, because I have, but the pervasive nature of the package dependencies makes it much harder to ignore.

From the sound of things, I'd very much like to give Debian 8 the benefit of the doubt. I'll wait and see, if there are more posts and not dismiss it entirely. Until more information comes in down the road, it is probably prudent for me to continue to look at a server migration plan that firmly does not include systemd.