Re: Let's have a vote!

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:10:17 +0200
Mart van de Wege <mvdwege@gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> writes:

> > A) Twine and baling wire is better than monolithic entanglement.
>
> Yeah, after this I'm really not going to take you seriously anymore.
> >
> > B) If you try Daemontools, you just might switch your view of which
> > is twine and baling wire,
>
> Yeah, mixing sysvinit and daemontools, especially if you only do this
> to try and duplicate systemd features, is twine and baling wire. You
> might want to check your assumptions, you don't know what I use at
> work. Here's a hint: I'm a sysadmin.

Oooooohhhh, a sysadmin, I'm impressed. You win the debate on that fact
alone!

And, because you're a sysadmin, you can be forgiven for not
understanding the future consequences of software whose every component
needs to know the business of every other component, as well as the
components of all sorts of other programs that happen to be in its
environment.

But just for fun, why don't you try Daemontools on a couple of daemons?
Maybe to daemonize a regular looping program that one of your company's
developers wrote. You just might like it.

And as far as the twine and bailing wire aspect, Daemontools is so
incredibly simple that you can document what you did with about 6 hours
of writing, so anybody can follow in your footsteps. Really, you should
try it.

SteveT