Re: Jessie and Systemd integration

<snip>
Don't be rude. Many of us are not system programmers (some of us aren't
professional programmers at all, we just use computers) but are
(sometimes) able to gather enough useful information to help report or
even fix a bug.

But there's no point in putting any effort into reporting the kind of
thing Don mentions if we already know that nothing will be done about
it.

This is the basic purpose of this whole set of threads. Is there
*really* going to be a practical alternative to using systemd, and if
so, will Debian support it? It is, for example, perfectly possible to
use Open Office in testing or unstable but it isn't available from the
repositories for anything later than Wheezy. But using an untracked Open
Office won't prevent the use of anything else, except possibly
libreoffice unless care is taken.

So we're looking for some kind of direction here, hoping that someone
who actually knows for sure will tell us whether the use of systemd as
init will be completely unavoidable in future Debian releases. If not,
if it will only be the 'default', then it may be worth putting a bit of
effort into making an alternative practical.

If, as seems likely, the people who actually run Linux are determined
that every Linux installation in future must be controlled by systemd,
we'd like to know that as well, as it will assist in future planning.
One of the many reasons for using Linux rather than Windows is that it
isn't a monoculture. If it will in future be a monoculture, if this is
all working towards a single, officially certified and legal Linux
distribution, that's one less reason for using it.

Spot on Joe!

I for one have found these discussions helpful with regards to knowing
what is in the pipe coming down the line. It has led me to do research about this topic, and to be fair, I do not like what I see. Having said that, at least I know about this know, I can do my own testing, poke at it, break it, fix it and hopefully
get a better understanding how it works.

With all that in mind, I am glad the dive bomb trolls have seemed to abated and we can looks forward to more useful discussions about systemd and it's relation to
debian today, tomorrow and in the future.

Cheers

Iain