Re: mysql command waiting endlessly (lenny)

I have said in my first post:

> but when it connect through the mysql program, there is no prompt.
>Through the odbc program (isql), it works fine (we fill mysql's parameters
>with some greps of the odbc's configuration)

This doesn't say whether it was from the same machine, or how odbc was
configured.

With hexdump (I must admit I did not used hexdump. Still not very used to that kind of stuff... and anyway I only wanted to know if yes or no
the server actually can reply):

00000000  28 00 00 00 0a 33 2e 32  33 2e 34 39 00 5f 2e 03
|(....3.23.49._..|
00000010 00 7b 3c 57 23 43 6b 71 74 00 2c 20 08 02 00 00 |.{<W#Ckqt.,
....|
00000020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |............|
0000002c

That only tells you that the server can send packets to your local
machine. It doesn't indicate at all whether you can send to the remote
machine.

Unfortunately, I does not have access to this remote machine. Which
does not help, but I am trying to determine if, yes or no, the problem
come from the mysql server or from "my" mysql client.

Considering that we have the same situation on other LANs (I mean, we have a computer that I can access on other LANs where there is a mysql
server that we can not administrate too) but the problem can not be
reproduced there. From what I have guessed through netcat and uname,
the LAN where that problem occur is the oldest: kernel 2.6.22 and
mysql server probably at version 3.23.49 (since netcat sends this
number when trying to connect). There is another LAN where the kernel
is 2.6.26 and mysql server 3.23.58 (still according to nc and uname)
which is the second oldest, and there things works perfectly. I have
checked the mysql-client's version, and it's the same. Configuration
files relating to isql and mysql are also identical, except about the
server's address, but I can't see how it could be the problem.

Talk to whoever administers the server, and have them check the logs.
And they should almost certainly upgrade mysql while they're at it.
Those versions have multiple known remote exploits.

Yes, I think I'll try to contact them. Not sure if they'll care or not, but trying never hurts.