Re: mysql command waiting endlessly (lenny)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> On a old lenny, we have a software which have to connect to a server of the
> same LAN (we do not have physical access to any stuff, and we can only
> connect through ssh to that client computer), but when it connect through
> the mysql program, there is no prompt. Through the odbc program (isql), it
> works fine (we fill mysql's parameters with some greps of the odbc's
> configuration).

[...]

> Does someone have any idea about what could be the problem, and/or how
> to fix it?

The request in TIME_WAIT is almost certainly not your problem. Run mysql
under strace, and see precisely where it is failing to connect to the
machine, then check your routing tables and firewall configuration.

Most likely, you've created a configuration where the machine in
question is unable to access 3306.

You can also telnet 10.6.0.3 3306; (or use nc) from the afflicted
machine to see if it even connects to mysql at all.

"Do you need [...] [t]ools? Stuff?"
"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs. [...] We
have a protractor."
 -- Neal Stephenson _Anathem_ p320