mysql command waiting endlessly (lenny)

Hello.

On a old lenny, we have a software which have to connect to a server of the same LAN (we do not have physical access to any stuff, and we can only connect through ssh to that client computer), but when it connect through the mysql program, there is no prompt. Through the odbc program (isql), it works fine (we fill mysql's parameters with some greps of the odbc's configuration). On other computers (on other LANs, those computers are in there to sniff packets and extract some informations to fill some of our DBs), the same setup works perfectly with both tools.

In my tries to fix this problem, I have noticed that there is a connection in TIME_WAIT state, which does not have any parent process, and which never dies. I suspect that this is the cause of the mysql's problem, and I would like to try to manually close it, but can't figure how. I have found several informations across the web, but they does not work, the kernel is probably too old: 2.6.22. Other computers which works are at least running a 2.6.24.

Another distinction between the problematic computer and those which works seems to be the mysql server's version: if I am now wrong (I guessed the numbers with a netcat connection), the server is also the oldest of our "collection": 3.23.49, but I doubt it may be the cause: there is another box asking to a 3.23.58.

Does someone have any idea about what could be the problem, and/or how to fix it?

1:
# netstat -antp|grep TIME
tcp 0 0 10.6.0.200:53786 10.6.0.3:3306 TIME_WAIT -