Re: View on UNIX purism in Linux Community

On 18/09/2014, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/09/2014, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, John.  But we should be going OT....

>>> In roughly the same sense in which there are fifty countries in the USA.
>>
>> No. They are separate countries, with an earlier lengthy political
>> history.
>>
>> Scotland and England were separate kingdoms until the Act of Union in
>> 1707.
>>

> Whereafter, it was all handed over to the germans (at that time, House
> of Hanover, and thence passed on to the House of Saxe-Coburg and
> Gotha), and has been under german monarchy for now 300 years (the
> handover to the germans; to the House of Hanover, apparently, occurred
> 01 August 1714, so, as from 01 August 2014, britain has been under
> german rule, for 300 years).
>
> So, after 300 years of german rule, the scots get to vote whether they
> should become independent.
>
> Interesting.

And also interesting, is that, if the below is believed, the scots
were never given a say in whether to become part of the kingdom of
great britain - they were forced into it.

At
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707

is

"
Some of the money was used to hire spies, such as Daniel Defoe; his
first reports were of vivid descriptions of violent demonstrations
against the Union. "A Scots rabble is the worst of its kind," he
reported, "for every Scot in favour there is 99 against". Years later
Sir John Clerk of Penicuik, originally a leading Unionist, wrote in
his memoirs that,
(Defoe) was a spy among us, but not known as such, otherwise the Mob
of Edinburgh would pull him to pieces.
Defoe recalls that he was hired by Robert Harley.
The Treaty could be considered unpopular in Scotland: Sir George
Lockhart of Carnwath, the only member of the Scottish negotiating team
against union, noted that "The whole nation appears against the Union"
and even Sir John Clerk of Penicuik, an ardent pro-unionist and Union
negotiator, observed that the treaty was "contrary to the inclinations
of at least three-fourths of the Kingdom". Public opinion against the
Treaty as it passed through the Scottish Parliament was voiced through
petitions from shires, burghs, presbyteries and parishes. The
Convention of Royal Burghs also petitioned against the Union and not
one petition in favour of an incorporating union was received by
Parliament. On the day the treaty was signed, the carilloner in St
Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh, rang the bells in the tune Why should I be
so sad on my wedding day?[24] Threats of widespread civil unrest
resulted in Parliament imposing martial law.
"

So, after three hundred years, the scots get to have a say about it
all. The question will be whether the scots again want independence,
or, whether the Stockholm Syndrome will apply.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."