Re: Faking it with skype

Hi Bret,

> Hello, Hans.
>
> Thank you for the offer (I think that you may have offered it before,
> for my Debian 7.x installation, but I am not sure).

Yes, I mentioned this offer before here.

> However, whilst you have said that it is written for testing, but
> should run on stable, would that also apply to oldstable?

dont't know, if it is running on oldstable. This version is the last, skype
released for debian and ubuntu running without pulseaudio. I just entered my
little "version-hack".

> >From what I understand, significant changes occurred from Debian 6 to
>
> 7 (apart from the replacement of GNOME2 with GNOME3 - which I have
> covered by switching to LXDE on my Debian 7 installation), and I
> wonder whether it would install and run on Debian 6.

I suppose, you might mean the change fron ia32-libs to multiarch. Yes, this
was a great change and a great improvement. However, my package doies not need
ia32-libs, but might be, it needs some extra libs.

Try out by installing it. I would suggest, to do it this way:

Install the package by dpkg -i skype************.deb

If some libs are missing, install them from your actual repo. I guess, the
version is not of much importance, more they exist. If libs are missing in the
repoo, try to install them from testing.

To do so,

add the testing repo in sources.list,
then do apt-get update
and install them by apt-get libwhatineed/testing

Be carefull, not to kill your system, look carefully what you are doing!

Good luck

Hans