Re: Query about existence of way to free up unnecessary RAM usage

Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> writes:

> On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 22:21:07 +0200
> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
>> To prevent an undesirable state of the system due to insufficient
>> memory, you can use (a large amount of) swap space on a slow medium
>> because that may give you a chance to do something before processes are
>> being killed.
>
> Re-read what Don has explained…

He claims that the system will not go down when it runs out of memory.
That simply isn't true.

>> Always use redundancy (like RAID) also for swap because you don't want
>> your system to go down when a disk fails.
>
> From what I know of, the failing of a swap only kills apps that
> reside on it; and the 'like RAID' is already included into swaps
> (same priority of 2 or more swaps ~ RAID0).

You think the system won't go down when memory contents are corrupted or
unobtainable?  I suppose you might be lucky in some cases and not in
others.

Mounting swap partitions with the same priority does not provide
redundancy.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.