Re: terminal doesn't come up in Jessie Beta-1?

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014, Lisi Reisz wrote:

On Tuesday 09 September 2014 19:46:56 Bzzzz wrote:
On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 19:40:29 +0100

Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
"chacun à son goût"

Unfortunately for you, I'm french native; so the real expression is:
"à chacun ses goûts"; which is commonly shorten in: "chacun ses goûts"
in a sentence.

No, unfortunately for you you have failed to notice that we are
writing in English not French.

whoa.  we're getting into lewis carroll territory, here.

The expression in English is, as Tony said it, "chacun à son goût".

"*the* expression?"  no room for another?  according to what
self-appointed authority?

i suppose one might also like to defer to the authority of the sizable
contingent of native english speakers who prefer to pronounce (or even
spell) the expression "coup de grâce" as though it were "coup de
gras".

but, you know, not everybody does.

He just left off the accents. (And mistyped "o" for "u".)

erm...

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
| Chacon a son gout, as we might say in France :)

"...as we might say in France".

ponder that one a bit.

That the expression as used in English is not the same as the
original expression as used in French does not surprise me at all.

if i'm not mistaken, this suggests that bzzzz's generous contribution
was new information to you.

If it surprises you, then you have not studied language (as opposed
to languages, which you clearly have studied).

lol.  so now we answer those who manage to inform us by impugning
their scholarly credentials?

i guess everyone's got their own style.

-wes