Re: 32 bit color depth with NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:58:27AM +0200, Bzzzz wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 00:07:48 -0400
> Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> wrote:
>
> > NVIDIA driver downloaded today. "nvidia-settings" shows color
> > depth as 24 bit and offers no way to change that.
> >
> > I know this chipset is capable of 32 bit depths. What am I missing?
>
> You are missing 2 things:
> 1- color plans are 8 bits (except on very special cards),
> 2- after RGB,  you also have the alpha plan (transparency),
> which makes 4 plans, but it is a convention (pre-alpha?)
> to only mention the RGB plans and not the alpha one; thus
> RGB=3 x8 = 24bits.

I'm afraid this is not correct. If I use, say, the VESA server, I can set
color depth to 32 bits. If I use the proprietary NVIDIA driver, I cannot.
Why not?
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!