Re: 32 bit color depth with NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 00:07:48 -0400
Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> wrote:

> NVIDIA driver downloaded today. "nvidia-settings" shows color
> depth as 24 bit and offers no way to change that.
>
> I know this chipset is capable of 32 bit depths. What am I missing?

You are missing 2 things:
1- color plans are 8 bits (except on very special cards),
2- after RGB,  you also have the alpha plan (transparency),
which makes 4 plans, but it is a convention (pre-alpha?)
to only mention the RGB plans and not the alpha one; thus
RGB=3 x8 = 24bits.

--
<Nirix> I'm an electric consumption maniac,
        I'd like to build a wind turbine for my pc…