Re: git: how to figure out with a script what the last commit on remote repo is without fetching it

On Monday, September 8, 2014 4:20:02 PM UTC+5:30, lee wrote:
> Jonathan Dowland writes:

> > On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 12:04:44AM +0200, lee wrote:
> >> how would I figure out what the last commit to a remote repo was without
> >> first fetching or pulling the remote repo?
> > This is an interesting question and I don't know the answer to it, perhaps it
> > is not yet possible. However, you might be able to solve the problem you have
> > in a different way: do you have write access to the remote repository? If so,
> > you should look into installing a post-update hook which will email you upon
> > commits being made to that repository.

> Unfortunately, I don't have write access to the remote repos I want to
> be informed about.

> Perhaps there's a mailing list for git ...  If it turns out that what
> I'm trying isn't possible, I'll make feature request.

This is a nice list to ask:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/git-users

However I dont think this is a reasonable thing to ask

[I must be missing something but...]
It seems analogous to this scenario:
I phone you at (your) 6 am and ask "Lee are you awake?"
If you answer, you are awake.
But I want to find out without waking you... Is that possible/feasible?
[As I said I must be missing something]