Re: git: how to figure out with a script what the last commit on remote repo is without fetching it

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

>> Does this mean that I cannot rely on any of the output of 'git status'
>> to decide whether there were commits or not?
>
> Commits where, on your local branch or on the remote one?

On the remote branch --- when they are made to my local copy, I will
know about it anyway because I'm the one making them :)

>>> How about "git fetch --dry-run"?
>>
>> That doesn't seem to do a dry run:
> [...]
>>
>> The first run compresses and unpacks some objects while the second one
>> immediately after the first one does not.  This must mean that something
>> did change by performing a dry run.
>
> Correct, contrary to what the manpage says "git fetch --dry-run" still
> downloads a pack file with the objects.  It just does not update any
> refs.

Then there is no reasonably way to find out whether new commits have
been made to a remote repo?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.