Re: Network speed drop down to 10MBPS for unknown reason.

Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> @bob
> if you mean speed and duplex mode then here is the detail

I wanted to see it say it was full duplex and whatever speed it had
negotiated.

> Speed: 1000Mb/s
> Duplex: Full

That says that it has linked and negotiated okay.  In problem cases
where auto-negotiation has not worked well I have seen the speed say
10Mb/s Half there which manifests itself as you described.

The next thing I would suspect is that something else is running and
it is sharing / stealing your bandwidth.  For example if a process was
transfering lots of email.  For example if apt-get were pulling new
index files or downloading files.  For example anything else that
might be running and consuming bandwidth at the same time.

There are a zillion ways to look at what is consuming network
resources.  Packages iftop, tcptrack, iptraf, nethogs, tcpdump,
wireshark, many others.  I would try to recreate the problem while
running one of those tools and try to identify what is happening and
hope to find another process that is consuming bandwidth at the same
time.  That is about the best I can suggest.

Good luck,
Bob