Re: Choose your side on the Linux divide

Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> writes:

> On 8/28/14, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 27 August 2014 22:51:13 Steve Litt wrote:
>>> you shouldn't express your opinion!
>>
>> Of course you should express your opinion, but not over and
>> over and over and over again ad nauseam and beyond.  We all
>> know your opinion.  Please give it a rest.
>
> I shall have to amend my previous statement:
>
> The Internet is my pulpit, no matter -what- I have to say,
> and no matter *how *many times* I want to say it,
> and debian-user@ldo was created for me to repeat what
> I want to say, so y'all get to hear it repeatedly, until I'm
> satisfied that everyone has truly heard what I want to say!

Neither this mailing list, nor the internet was created for you any more
than for anyone else, and I doubt it was created for the purpose of ppl
repeating themselves all the time.

> Anything less is denying me my freedom to express my
> opinion. So if you don't like it, go swing the Debian COC
> past us all and prove me wrong.

Unfortunately, that's arguable:  You are using other ppl's resources to
express your opinion.  Should I, for example, decide not to receive your
emails, I might simply be dedicating my resources to other purposes
rather than denying you your freedom.  Fortunately, it's not so simple
to force your freedom upon others.

Alas, I would have to dedicate resources to deny receiving your emails.
Do you seriously want to deny other ppl the freedom to dedicate their
resources to what they want to dedicate them to by forcing them to
dedicate them to denying receiving your emails instead?  If you do, I
vote that you should not be allowed to post to this mailing list.

And now tell us: What would be the point of having the freedom to
express your opinion when nobody hears it because everyone has decided
to ignore or not to receive what you are saying?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.