Re: brasero requires systemd-sysv

On Wed 03 Sep 2014 at 11:12:24 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:

> brasero depends on systemd-sysv.  Here is the chain of dependencies
> I've identified, with the help of some folks on this list:

Brasero requires the installation of systemd-sysv (or systemd-shim) but
it is not one of its dependencies.

> brasero -> gvfs -> gvfs-daemons -> udisks2 -> libpam-systemd ->
> systemd-sysv

You should also consider a default install with Recommends:, which will
pull in colord.

  colord -> policykit-1 -> libpam-systemd -> systemd-sysv

Policykit is used by default by upstream to handle user privileges.

> For now I'd like to ignore the option of using systemd-shim and just
> examine why a cd burning application depends on a particular init
> system.  My goal is to either 1) understand why it has to be this way,
> or 2) understand enough that I can submit a bug for one of the above
> packages to break this chain.

For 1) you'll be wanting to look at the part played by logind and why it
is the only game in town at present. For 2) you'll want to go after
libpam-systemd. 1) and 2) are interconnected so, to put it bluntly, you
will discover you are on a loser.

> Michael Biebl already informed me that brasero uses gvfs to detect
> removable media (thanks for that).  Apparently there are other methods
> available (xfburn doesn't use gvfs), but the brasero developers have
> chosen to use gvfs.

Just as the colord developers have decided to use policykit.

> I'm going to need help understanding the rest of the dependencies.
>
> I'd also like to know if there are any features of brasero that
> *really* require systemd to be used as the init system -- features
> that would not work with sysvinit.  I'm hoping Michael or some other
> developers can chime in on this one.

If *you* really require accurate colours on your CD covers you may want
colord.