Re: brasero requires systemd-sysv

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 11:12:24AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> brasero depends on systemd-sysv.  Here is the chain of dependencies I've identified, with the help of some folks on this list:
>
> brasero -> gvfs -> gvfs-daemons -> udisks2 -> libpam-systemd -> systemd-sysv

No hard evidence of this, but my reasoning would be:
* brasero needs gvfs because it wants to access disks, gvfs is the GNOME
  preferred way to do so.
* gvfs needs gvfs-daemons because gvfs-daemons is the actual workhorse.
  gvfs contains the GIO modules which applications use, but gvfs-daemons
  contains the code which queries the disks etc.
* gvfs-daemons depends on udisks2 because udisks2 is a desktop-oriented
  interface to various common hard disks. gvfs-daemons appears to
  provide a superset of udisks's capabilities, though because it also
  depends on things like libbluray1.
* udisks2 depends on libpam-systemd. I suspect this is so that udisks
  can access, for example, USB keys inserted at the console. This has
  been a kludgey point for a while - how do you allow someone sitting at
  a console to plug in a USB key and access that (in the same manner
  that they are given access to the local keyboard, video card etc) but
  restrict that to other users of the computer? libpam-systemd (and thus
  logind) solve this by marking a login as being from the console and
  applications can then tie things to that.
* libpam-systemd depends on systemd-sysv because it needs, for example,
  the cgroups functionality which compartmentalises the processes of a
  console user.

So, it's not that brasero needs systemd (if it did, it would probably
say so), but rather it depends on utilities which - in addition to the
features directly needed by brasero - provide features provided by
systemd.

This is akin, perhaps, to wondering why brasero depends on libxdmcp
(brasero -> libcairo2 -> libx11-6 -> libxcb1 -> libxdmcp6). Brasero
doesn't need XDMCP access itself, but it depends (indirectly) on a
library which does.