Re: Choose your side on the Linux divide

AW writes:
> apt-get source sysvinit

> is all you need to type in order to compile your own init and run it
> on whatever machine you wish...

That's no help if 3/4 of your applications plus key functions such as
dbus require systemd or worse yet have been absorbed into it and then
changed in incompatible ways.

I don't object to replacing sysvinit with something more modern (though
sysvinit does everything I need).  I do have concerns about the scope of
the systemd project.  The goal seems to be a single do-all daemon.  That
may be desireable in the long run (though I doubt it) but it looks to me
as if they are getting too ambitious too soon.  Better to just replace
sysvinit, get it working and fully debugged, and then look for new
worlds to conquer.

This is just a random opinion of a user, of course.  I do not labor
under the delusion that anyone is going to listen to me.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com