Re: Choose your side on the Linux divide

On 27/08/14 07:09, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 8/26/14, golinux@riseup.net <golinux@riseup.net> wrote:
>> Choose your side on the Linux divide
>>
>>      To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>>      Subject: Choose your side on the Linux divide
>>      From: Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
>>      Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:44:23 -0400
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Perhaps the horse I was beating wasn't as dead as I thought. Check out
>> this article by Infoworld's Paul Venezia:
>>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/choose-your-side-the-linux-divide-248950?source=IFWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2014-08-25
>>
>> Paul Venezia said everything I wanted to say, and said it so much
>> better.
>
> Sure. He doesn't understand some basics though.
>
> "Clearly, systemd is a polarizing subject.
> If nothing else, that very fact should give one pause."
>
> Huh? Emacs and Vi used to be rather, um, how shall I say it? How
> about, I know, I know ... polarizing! Yeah that's it! Gnome and KDE?
> egcc and gcc? code formatting styles? and the list goes on forever.
>
> "Fundamental changes in the structure of most Linux distributions
> should not be met with such fervent opposition."
>
> Opposition or debate? Debate is not healthy? Forks are bad?
>
> Come on, please! The guy doesn't seem to understand how the bazaar
> do-ocracy works. I guess for him, there's only pitchforks, not forks,
> and a fork is only something used at the dinner table. Well ... I've
> heard there's this little thing called the Internet and some search
> engines to learn about this shit... perhaps someone could let him
> know.
>
> "It indicates that no matter how reasonable a change may seem, if
> enough established and learned folks disagree with the change, then
> perhaps it bears further inspection before going to production.
> Clearly, that hasn't happened with systemd."
>
> Ahh yes, of course, what was I thinking? Linux is a corporate entitty,
> and there's only two versions which everyone uses: development, and
> production.
>
> So bring out the FUD scaremongering and make sure everybody panicks
> when a new piece of software is "rolled out into production." Please!
> FFFFS! Pass the popcorn already!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd#Adoption
> RedHat/ Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, FreeBSD, SUSE, Slackware, all already
> migrated, and the slow, stable, stalwart Debian finally makes the move
> and people question "rolling out into production".
>
> I want butter and honey on my popcorn thanks...

Wonderful, thank you!

To paraphrase:
Zenaan Harkness said everything I wanted to say, and said it so much
better.

To all you systemd zealots on either side, and slitt in particular: The
horse *is* dead; let it go, it makes life much less stressful!

--
Tony van der Hoff  | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Ariège, France     |