Re: Choose your side on the Linux divide

On 8/26/14, golinux@riseup.net <golinux@riseup.net> wrote:
> Choose your side on the Linux divide
>
>      To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>      Subject: Choose your side on the Linux divide
>      From: Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
>      Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:44:23 -0400
>
> Hi all,
>
> Perhaps the horse I was beating wasn't as dead as I thought. Check out
> this article by Infoworld's Paul Venezia:
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/choose-your-side-the-linux-divide-248950?source=IFWNLE_nlt_daily_pm_2014-08-25
>
> Paul Venezia said everything I wanted to say, and said it so much
> better.

Sure. He doesn't understand some basics though.

"Clearly, systemd is a polarizing subject.
If nothing else, that very fact should give one pause."

Huh? Emacs and Vi used to be rather, um, how shall I say it? How
about, I know, I know ... polarizing! Yeah that's it! Gnome and KDE?
egcc and gcc? code formatting styles? and the list goes on forever.

"Fundamental changes in the structure of most Linux distributions
should not be met with such fervent opposition."

Opposition or debate? Debate is not healthy? Forks are bad?

Come on, please! The guy doesn't seem to understand how the bazaar
do-ocracy works. I guess for him, there's only pitchforks, not forks,
and a fork is only something used at the dinner table. Well ... I've
heard there's this little thing called the Internet and some search
engines to learn about this shit... perhaps someone could let him
know.

"It indicates that no matter how reasonable a change may seem, if
enough established and learned folks disagree with the change, then
perhaps it bears further inspection before going to production.
Clearly, that hasn't happened with systemd."

Ahh yes, of course, what was I thinking? Linux is a corporate entitty,
and there's only two versions which everyone uses: development, and
production.

So bring out the FUD scaremongering and make sure everybody panicks
when a new piece of software is "rolled out into production." Please!
FFFFS! Pass the popcorn already!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd#Adoption
RedHat/ Fedora, Arch, Gentoo, FreeBSD, SUSE, Slackware, all already
migrated, and the slow, stable, stalwart Debian finally makes the move
and people question "rolling out into production".

I want butter and honey on my popcorn thanks...

Have a wonderful day,
Zenaan