Re: pppd not starting scripts for connect and disconnect

Rusi Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sunday, August 24, 2014 2:40:01 AM UTC+5:30, lee wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> what might be the reason that pppd does not start the scripts given in
>> the config in use with the connect and disconnect options?
>
> I had a thread out here on ppp not starting on startup as it used to
> <Assuming thats what you are talking about>
> The conclusion was
> - if machine between systemd and sysv then
>     manually modprobe pppoe is needed
> - after init=systemd is done
>     it works at startup as before
> </Assuming thats what you are talking about>

Thank you for your input!  To clarify:

Pppd is started and establishes the connection just fine when the system
boots.

In case the connection is interrupted for some reason (like someone
unplugs the network cable), I would like to be informed that the
connection was interrupted.

Pppd is configured to retry indefinitely to re-establish the connection
in case it is interrupted.  When the connection has been re-established,
I would like to be informed.

To get informed, I've written two scripts that send me an email.  One
informs me that the connection has been interrupted; the other one that
the connection has been established.

I want pppd to start these scripts.  For this purpose, pppd knows the
options "connect" and "disconnect", as described in its man page.  I've
configured pppd accordingly.

For unknown reasons, pppd never starts these scripts.  How do I make it
so that the scripts are started?  Or is there another way for pppd to
inform me?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.