pppd not starting scripts for connect and disconnect

Hi,

what might be the reason that pppd does not start the scripts given in
the config in use with the connect and disconnect options?

,----
| connect script
|   [...]
|   This option specifies an command for pppd to execute (by passing it to
|   a shell) before attempting to start PPP negotiation.
|
| disconnect script
|    Execute the command specified by script, by passing it to a shell,
|    after pppd has terminated the link.
`----

And I have

,----
| # call this script when connecting
| connect /etc/ppp/connect-alert.sh
|
| # call this script when disconnecting
| disconnect /etc/ppp/disconnect-alert.sh
`----

in /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider, starting the connection with 'pon
dsl-provider'.  This is pppoe, not using a modem.

None of the scripts are started when connecting or disconnecting.  They
would notify me that the connection is up/down.

Why aren't the scripts being run?  Is there a better way to receive
notification?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.