Re: dropbox install break apt-get

Hi

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 09:53:58PM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> I tried to install dropbox and the result is that apt-get is broken.
> (I do not by the way want dropbox on my system and want to purge it
> completely.)
>
> Here is the output which demonstrates the current state of the system:
>
> ---------------
> root@debian:/home/tom# apt-get purge dropbox
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
> to correct the problem.
>
> root@debian:/home/tom# dpkg --configure -a
> Setting up nautilus-dropbox (1.4.0-3) ...
> Dropbox is the easiest way to share and store your files online. Want
> to learn more? Head to http://www.dropbox.com/
>
> Downloading Dropbox... 100%
> ---------------
>

> With "Downloading Dropbox... 100%" the system hangs until I do a
> ctl-c.

I believe that dpkg (which is used by apt anyway) is running the
"config" (or post-inst) script of the package.

Do you get the same result out of running (as root):

   /var/lib/dpkg/info/dropbox.config

or

   /var/lib/dpkg/info/dropbox.postinst configure

?

I guess if you just want top purge dropbox, then adding an "exit 0" at
a strategic place in the script would be sufficient to stop it from
breaking dpkg and apt.

> i find btw reports of this problem going back to 2012. why is debian
> allowing the thing in the repository?

It does??  At the very least, I hope it is relegated to "non-free" ...

If you can reproduce it, I recommend that you raise a bug on it.

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen