dropbox install break apt-get

I tried to install dropbox and the result is that apt-get is broken.
(I do not by the way want dropbox on my system and want to purge it
completely.)

Here is the output which demonstrates the current state of the system:

---------------
root@debian:/home/tom# apt-get purge dropbox
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
to correct the problem.

root@debian:/home/tom# dpkg --configure -a
Setting up nautilus-dropbox (1.4.0-3) ...
Dropbox is the easiest way to share and store your files online. Want
to learn more? Head to http://www.dropbox.com/

Downloading Dropbox... 100%
---------------

With "Downloading Dropbox... 100%" the system hangs until I do a ctl-c.

The response of the system to ANY attempt to do an install or remove
is the same.

Possibly relevant to the problem is the fact that after the problem
descended on my system, I did an apt-get upgrade. The upgrade seemed
to be going normally until the following appeared in the upgrade
output:

Setting up nautilus-dropbox (1.4.0-3) ...
Dropbox is the easiest way to share and store your files online. Want
 to learn more? Head to http://www.dropbox.com/

Downloading Dropbox... 100%

i find btw reports of this problem going back to 2012. why is debian
allowing the thing in the repository?