Re: How to install qt5 on Wheezy, and is that even a good idea?

Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> writes:

> Unfortunately, one program that might be mission critical to my
> business, Sigil, now requires qt5 to compile, and of course Wheezy
> doesn't have a qt5 package.
>
> What would be the best way I could install qt5 on my Wheezy without
> borking everything else that depends on qt4? Also, if I have to use
> Jessie repositories, how can I set it so the only software from Jessie
> I use is qt5 and its dependencies? To the extent possible, I want my
> system to be Wheezy, not Jessie.

wheezy-backports can be useful but qt5 seems to be an exception: I too
have found myself having to arrange for it rather manually on my wheezy
system.

In my /etc/apt/preferences.d/preferences I have,

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 600

and also,

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 50

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 40

among other things. Then, after the next apt-get update, I can use
apt-get install with a "-t testing" option or I can suffix package names
with "/testing". This will probably require you to upgrade your libc and
suchlike too. But, with those preferences, an "apt-get upgrade" pretty
much sticks with stable.

Of course, with non-stable packages, you have to be more vigilant about
security fixes, they won't be promptly coming through
security.debian.org.

If a package I really want drags in a bunch of upgraded dependencies I'm
not sure it really needs, I might use dpkg's --force options to get it
in anyway and find it works just fine, but these days with apt I seem to
have to unpack the package and fiddle its actual dependencies because
apt seems to insist on having faith in what it's told from the
repository instead of making local overrides easy.

The Qt4 stuff is named sufficiently differently from the Qt5 stuff that
I would expect installing one not to disrupt the operation of software
depending on the other. I think you can have some hope on that score.

-- Mark