Re: Multiboot usage

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 1:58 AM, John Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any one using multiboot please reply.

Hi.

> I have a system that is running

several == 3 or more?

> several linux distros,
> each on its own hard drive. I have also got windows 7
> pro and KfreeBSD on their own hard drives.

At least 5 physical hard drives? That sounds like you have one huge
enclosure on this box, and a pretty hefty power supply to match.

> I want to get the grub2 osprobe
> to recognize the KfreeBSD disk as its also set up with a grub boot loader.

I don't particularly like to do things that way. It means that
whichever install of whichever distro owns the controlling grub
installation has to be booted up to run its version of a grub updater
any time any of the installs updates a kernel. That means you have to
pay pretty close attention to updates. (You should pay attention
anyway, but this means extra attention.)

Rather than probing, I prefer to have grub pass the boot off to the
installed distro's own boot loader by chaining. That way, each install
can update it's own loader and be done with it.

> all the other drives are recognized & are able to be booted natively using a
> grub install on the mbr of the main (first) boot drive. That was/is
> configured properly using update-grub. I have installed the ufs tools and
> verified that there is a ufs1 & ufs2 mod in the kernel directory.

Does the OS that owns your "main (first) boot drive" have a driver for
reading UFS disks? If not, the grub configuration tools there won't be
able to locate to the kernel to boot, to record its absolute address
on the disk.

> Any suggestions as to what to do. I've looked at several web pages about
> this and most seem out of date & I'm apprehensive about directly editing the
> grub.cfg file as it says to NOT do that.
> Thanks!
> John

If my comments don't point you in the right direction, I'll tell you
more later about the chain thingy in grub and how to set what up in
/etc/grub.d . (I keep forgetting where those files are. Do not like
grub2. But chaining works, lately, so it's okay, I guess.)

I'd show you how I chained openbsd, but the partition in question is
not mounted and I'm not logged in on an admin group user right now.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.