Re: Multiboot usage

On 21/08/2014, John Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any one using multiboot please reply. I have a system that is running
> several linux distros, each on its own hard drive. I have also got
> windows 7 pro and KfreeBSD on their own hard drives. I want to get the
> grub2 osprobe to recognize the KfreeBSD disk as its also set up with a
> grub boot loader. all the other drives are recognized & are able to be
> booted natively using a grub install on the mbr of the main (first) boot
> drive. That was/is configured properly using update-grub. I have
> installed the ufs tools and verified that there is a ufs1 & ufs2 mod in
> the kernel directory.
> Any suggestions as to what to do. I've looked at several web pages about
> this and most seem out of date & I'm apprehensive about directly editing
> the grub.cfg file as it says to NOT do that.
> Thanks!
> John

Hello.

This may or may not help, and, it is probably not the answer that you
want, but I suggest posting the query to the debian-bsd mailing list.

It is linked from
https://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/
and the list information is at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/
I had tried installing PC-BSD, which is a derivative of FreeBSD, and
could not get it to work, so gave up.

As you have Windows 7, I assume that you do not have a UEFI/GPT
system, and so, I believe that you would need kfreebsd to be in a
primary (1 of 4 partitions) partition, and I do not know whether your
installation would work for kfreebsd, if it is not is a primary
partition.

I do not know that kfreebsd can be run on a system using multiple
physical hard drives as you suggest, but I believe that the people on
the debian-bsd list, would be best for dealing with your query.

Oh, and I am not a Linux guru, just a (somehat) befuddled user.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."