Re: Got skype 4.2 to connect again

Am Dienstag, 19. August 2014, 18:40:30 schrieb Hans:
> Hi folks,

Hi Hans!

> I managed to get an older version of skype (the multiarch debian package)
> getting connected to skype. As you might have noticed, the new version is
> pulseaudio needed /what a crap!) and the older version (4.2) inhibits to
> connect to the server.
>
> So I found a simple solution:
> - Install the 4.2 package.
> - start a hexeditor and open the file /usr/bin/skype
> - search for "4.2.0.11" and change this to "4.3.0.37"
> - save the file
> - restart skype and
> - voila! It is now connecting to the server again!
>
> No pulseaudio needed any more! Yeah!
>
> Have fun!

Wow! Wonderful! Thanks!

For my Skype version is was "4.2.0.13" at offset 0x3320. Did the replacement
and search with Okteta.

Didn´t think they would just check the version number. Which makes this an
artificial limitation without any technical reasoning behind it, no new
protocol version, no nothing. Just plain arbitrariness it seems.

I am still after an alternative to Skype which works on Linux, Mac OS X and
Windows *and* easy to setup, so it could be a drop-in replacement for Skype.
Bonus points for secure and privacy aware encryption features.

Ciao,