Re: Got skype 4.2 to connect again

> I am still after an alternative to Skype which works on Linux, Mac OS X and
> Windows *and* easy to setup, so it could be a drop-in replacement for Skype.
> Bonus points for secure and privacy aware encryption features.
>
> Ciao,

Hi Martin,

I don't think, there is an alternative for skype. In case of you have to talk
to skype users, you need the skype-proprietriery protocol. All alternatives
are using H264 or other sip protocols. However, I heard, there are gateways,
which let you use open source applications like ekiga or qutecom (aka
wengophone), which transfer the open protocol to the skype protocol.

Sorry, but I cannot point at the moment, where to go for it. Maybe google
search might help. i also believe, those gateways do cost a little bit.

If your friends are not forced to use skype and are willing to change, try
ekiga, linphone or qutecom. Linphone made great progress in the past, as well
as ekiga, too.

Good luck!

Hans