Re: Skype substitutes for current Debian?

op 10-08-14 20:55, Tom Roche schreef:

> Having recently received the Skype email requiring reinstall with new
> version, I'd like to learn more about available, working substitutes
> for Skype for D7/wheezy, possibly current testing/jessie, and maybe
> even more robust bits of sid. (For brevity, I'll refer to that
> collectively as "D7++".) Particularly I'm interested in the following
> usecase: someone receives request from OP to do an interview by
> Skype, the service with which the OP is most familiar. Are there,
> e.g.,
>
> 1. Skype-compatible clients for D7++ which could be used to connect
> directly to an OP running Skype?

There are no Skype compatible clients.

> 2. Alternate services (e.g., Google Hangout) with ease-of-use
> sufficiently approximate to Skype that the D7++ user could reasonably
> propose to an OP of {usual, not very strong} IT-literacy?

For about a month I've tested an online service called Bistri:
https://bistri.com/
It worked fine with Chromium, but not with Iceweasel then (maybe it
works now with a newer version).

The other side does not need to register with Bistri, Only clicking on a
link is enough to connect to you.

I think web-based is a good idea.

> 3. Skype-compatible clients for D7++ which could be used to connect
> directly to an OP running that alternate service?
>
> I'm especially interested in evaluations of
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/skype
>> free and open source alternative[s,] community-owned and supported
>> by Debian, such as the VoIP ekiga , linphone , or jitsi ?

I've tested Ekiga and Linphone. The problem of the SIP protocol is that
it does not work very well behind NAT. And most people are behind a NAT
router. I think XMPP is the better protocol, but using a VPN with SIP is
maybe a good alternative (more compatible).

A problem is that the other side needs to have something what's
compatible with you. It seems that Jitsi is a good client, but it's Java
and I am always a bit sceptical about Java.

But I think it's the best to look at online services.
Because it's more easy for the other side (no installation).

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl