Re: Anyone got Dragon Naturally Speaking working under Debian Wheezy?

On 18/08/14 12:19 PM, brian wrote:
Hi all,

I posted this question to the XFCE users list a couple of days ago but
no takers, so I'll try it here. I also got a timeout on the first
attempt, so due apologies if this message is a duplicate.

Has anyone out there managed to set up Dragon Naturally Speaking to
run under WINE? I'm using Debian 7.6 multihome, with XFCE from the
Wheezy repos, which means v4.8.

My wife has developed a problem with her hands, and can't type more
than a few sentences without severe pain. I've got Dragon (V10, which
was supposed to be the most compatible) installed, but configuring it
is a problem because you have to almost yell down the microphone to
get the sound to register when training it. I can get it to work but
my wife is (much!) quieter-spoken than I am, and it just will not work
for her.

I've checked the mixer settings, I have the microphone gain boosted to
maximum. We're using a USB microphone, but I could go back to an old
4mil one connected into the sound jack if USB could be the problem.
Her PC is a bog-standard eMachines/Wal-Mart job, so nothing fancy,
sound is off the motherboard, no added cards. There should be enough
CPU power there, though, 2.3 GHz dual core with 3GB of RAM.

Any ideas very gratefully received, I just don't know what else to
try. The software obviously works, but it just tells me that the
volume is too low when Pat tries to train it.

Thanks,

Brian.

Not using Dragon but the microphone problem could be a number of things. My USB microphone works well, as do the regular (audio-in) microphones I've tried.

What happens when you talk into it using a Linux sound capture application? You might need to check the Windows mike volume as well as the Linux volume.