Re: Skype substitutes for current Debian?

On 19/08/2014, Paul van der Vlis <paul@vandervlis.nl> wrote:
> op 10-08-14 20:55, Tom Roche schreef:
>>
>> Having recently received the Skype email requiring reinstall with new
>> version, I'd like to learn more about available, working substitutes
>> for Skype for D7/wheezy, possibly current testing/jessie, and maybe
>> even more robust bits of sid. (For brevity, I'll refer to that
>> collectively as "D7++".) Particularly I'm interested in the following
>> usecase: someone receives request from OP to do an interview by
>> Skype, the service with which the OP is most familiar. Are there,
>> e.g.,
>>
>> 1. Skype-compatible clients for D7++ which could be used to connect
>> directly to an OP running Skype?
>
> There are no Skype compatible clients.
>
>> 2. Alternate services (e.g., Google Hangout) with ease-of-use
>> sufficiently approximate to Skype that the D7++ user could reasonably
>> propose to an OP of {usual, not very strong} IT-literacy?
>
> For about a month I've tested an online service called Bistri:
> https://bistri.com/
> It worked fine with Chromium, but not with Iceweasel then (maybe it
> works now with a newer version).

That web site is all https, even for looking for information about the
application, and, the home page itself.

I have just done a system update (Debian 6 LTS), which included a
number of libraries, including SSL libraries (I mention this here,
because I do not know whether that is the cause of the problem).

When I went to look at that web site, I repeatedly got "The
certificate at (<multiple paths within the web site>, even though I
was trying to get to only the home page of the web site, in the first
instance - I could not even get to the home page) has expired - do you
want to ignore this error", I clicked on the "Yes" option. I did that
about ten or twenty times, and then my web browser crashed.

So, they can put that web site, where it hurts.

When web sites make even their home pages, malware, they have no place
in the World Wide Web.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale