Re: Irony

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:14:28 -0600
Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

 > Andrew, are your cookies virtuous (lo-cal) or virtual? ;)

Neither.  I prefer homemade chocolate chip using 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup
Crisco... Just like my grandmother used to make...

 > Comments (opinion) supporting your position that SQL logging is silly.
 >
 > It is my understanding that SQL is a query language that is designed
 > to query (and update) a *relational*database*

Logging data are 100% relational.  In fact, everytime someone uses grep, tail,
head, cut, and awk to search through a log file -- they demonstrate that the
log data are relational.

http://web.mit.edu/11.521/www/lectures/lecture10/lec_data_design.html
and.
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-830-database-systems-fall-2010/lecture-notes/

A syslog is close to very definition of relational data with the primary key
being the timestamp and/or the "facility" in one large table [not the best
design] --- or better primary key being the timestamp and/or generated uuid and
the facility being the table...

However, as I stated previously, systemd seems fine to me... and the old
sysvinit have sql export already - so, obivously lots of people thought and
presumably still think log data is handy in an sql database.

http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/rsyslog_pgsql.html
QED.

--Andrew