Re: Problem with Debian 6 LTS and vlc

On Wed, 8/13/14, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Problem with Debian 6 LTS and vlc
 To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
 Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 11:46 PM

 I have just tried to install vlc on this laptop.

 At first attempt, it kept prompting for the "disc number...", so I
 checked the /etc/apt/sources.list file, and found that it was not set up for LTS.

 So, I updated the /etc/apt/sources.list file, as (I believe) shown on the relevant wiki web page, and ran apt-get update and then
 apt-get upgrade, and that apparently included removal of about 3.6MB of something (it did not say what would be removed).

 But, now I can not install vlc.

 I get, in the error box (the error classification/description, can not be copied and pasted)

 "
 vlc:
  Depends: vlc-nox but it is not going to be installed
  Depends: libfribidi0 (>=0.19.2) but it is not installable
  Depends: libsdl-image1.2 (>=1.2.10) but it is not installable
  Depends: libxcb-keysyms1 (>=0.3.6) but it is not installable
  Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify but it is not going to be installed
  Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse but it is not going to be installed
 "

 Is vlc no longer installable, on Debian 6?

I have vlc running on squeeze LTS.  Looks like it comes from Debian multimedia packages maintainers <pkg-multimedia-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org> so you'll likely have to add the http://www.deb-multimedia.org  oldstable main repo to your sources list.