Re: systemd fails to poweroff - "A stop job is running for Session 2 of user $USER"

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 10:16:27AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> >Debian sid
> >
> >systemd currently fails to poweroff for me
> >
> >XFCE (appears to) exit, the mouse point shows
> >for a while, then the kernel/ shutdown log appears.
> >
> >The last message is:
> >"A stop job is running for Session 2 of user me"
> >
> >Red asterisks (up to 3) appear to oscillate at left
> >edge in an ascii "wait for me" animation.
> >
> >Requires hard powercycle to poweroff.
> >
> >How might I debug this?
> >

> Right.  Debian Sid. 'halt' does not poweroff with systemd.

That's a totally  different issue, though. With systemd  both 'halt' and
'poweroff' should run through the init sequence (stop all services, send
TERM to all processes, send KILL to all processes). 'halt' then stops at
this point - the  only thing left running is then  the kernel (there's a
certain pattern of work that involves  running a machine like this for a
firewall. All the rules are loaded  into the kernel and then the machine
is halted. The  kernel can still process packets happily,  but there are
no user space processes which can alter/interfere).

What Zenaan is talking about is systemd  asking a service to stop and it
taking too long to do so (perhaps it never will, perhaps it just needs a
long time)