Re: IP Forwarding to Windows machine

Mike McClain wrote:
> Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > Please describe your network topology. Where's the Win2k box ?
>
>                     ______________                  ________________
>                     |   Debian    |      LAN        |  Windows 2000 |
>     --------Inet----|    Linux    |-----------------|  S40          |
>             (ppp)   | 192.168.1.2 |   cross-over    |  192.168.1.3  |
>                     |_____________|                 |_______________|

It isn't 100% clear so I will ask.  What IP address is the Debian box
getting on the ppp connection?  You only list one IP address for it
but of course it must have another one for the upstream connection.
And you left that one out leaving us guessing about it.

Hopefully it isn't getting another 192.168.1.x IP address there from
its upstream.  If so then that would create routing problems for it.
It would have the 192.168.1 subnet on both ports and that would cause
it problems.  For simple operation a router needs different IP subnets
on the different ethernet ports.  If the Debian box is getting a
192.168.1.x address from ppp then that would be a problem.  In which
case the downstream connection would need to change to a different
subnet than the upstream subnet.

Bob