Re: IP Forwarding to Windows machine

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 09:13:23PM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Mike McClain a ?crit :
> >     I've been trying to get my hand rolled iptables firewall to
> > masquerade traffic on the LAN to/from a Win2K box.
>
> Please describe your network topology. Where's the Win2k box ?

                    ______________                  ________________
                    |   Debian    |      LAN        |  Windows 2000 |
    --------Inet----|    Linux    |-----------------|  S40          |
            (ppp)   | 192.168.1.2 |   cross-over    |  192.168.1.3  |
                    |_____________|                 |_______________|

> What's S40 ?
S40 short for south40 the name of the Win2K box.

> > I've gotten it to
> > the point that I can ping from the boxes both ways,
>
> Which boxes ?
>
> > smbclient can move files both ways
>
> Smbclient run on which box ?

Smbclient run on the Linux box.

> > and the Win2K box can ping Google's IP address but DNS
> > lookup fails even though I've used the same DNS server in the Win2K
> > box as on my Debian box which access the Inet via dialup. IE says
> > "Cannot find server or DNS error."
> >     I've read every HOWTO and the iptables man pages several times but
> > am at a loss.
> >     Suggestions?
>
> Same as Nemeth Gyorgy : restart without any filtering, just the IP
> forwarding and masquerading. If it does not work, it's not due to
> filtering. Then when everything works add the filtering.

All suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
--
"Imagination is looking at a dot in the sky and seeing it as another world
    is looking at the world and seeing it as as just a dot in the sky.