Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Thu 07 Aug 2014 at 08:31:08 -0400, AW wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 15:03:50 +0300
> David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
>
>  > Offered for upgrade today are a bunch of old-style?? init components,
>  > initscripts, sysv-rc, etc
>
> Are these the Sid installation upgrades?  I generally run 'testing' on most of
> personal machines.  I've had no issues with converting from sysvinit to
> systemd.  Also, I've had no problems using both 'old' style init and 'new' style
> systemctl commands interchangeably to interact with services.

  sysvinit (2.88dsf-53.3) unstable; urgency=medium

    * Non-maintainer upload.
    * Since the new "init" metapackage has taken over the role to ensure an init
      system is installed at all times, drop the Essential: yes flag from
      sysvinit and demote its priority to optional so this package is no longer
      pulled in on new installations on Linux. Make sysvinit depend on "init" so
      this new package is installed on upgrades.
    * Provide a fallback SysV init binary in the sysvinit package which can be
      used to boot the system via init=/lib/sysvinit/init even if systemd is the
      default init system and /sbin/init is provided by systemd-sysv.
    * Demote the priority of sysvinit-core to extra so it is no longer installed
      by default on Linux.

This is part of the transition to systemd plan.

    https://lists.debian.org/87mwc9gfsw.fsf@xoog.err.no

Also, for those who care, libpam-systemd's Depends: line now has

    systemd-sysv | systemd-shim