Re: System broken after full-upgrade: please help!

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu 07 Aug 2014 at 12:39:59 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
>> At the prompt issue the commands
>>
>>   grub-install /dev/sda
>>
>>   update-grub
>>
>>   reboot
>
> Forget the last line.
>
>    grub-install /dev/sda
>
>    update-grub
>
>    exit
>
> Then reboot.

All right, it worked!  I tought you meant to say `grub-install /dev/sda7',
which produces error:

 Installing for i386-pc platform.
 grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
 grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed
  in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and
  their use is discouraged.
 grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Instead, with literally `grub-install /dev/sda', everything went fine and the
system is repaired, now I can boot into it.  Just one thing: now sda7 grub boot
loader is installed to the master boot record.  I tried instead to install back
sda6 grub boot loader to the master boot record with the following:

   # grub
   grub > root (hd0,5)
   grub > setup (hd0)
   grub > quit

, but then again the system `broke down' and I couldn't boot into sda7.  So I
rescued it again and it's ok again.  But, is it possibile to get back sda6 to
the mbr as it was before?

Thanks,

Rodolfo