Re: [OT] Floppies [was: Re: End of hypocrisy, beginning of reason]

Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Doug wrote:
> >Steve Litt wrote:
> > > Screw that! I'm buying an old Kaypro 2x on Ebay, and using CPM for the
> > > rest of my life!
> > > :-)
> >
> >Good luck finding floppies!
>
> Turns out that is a big problem in maintaining the first generation of
> electronic voting machines.  Just saw an article about how they use the BIG
> floppies.

Since this is already marked OT I feel okay posting this drift:

  Minutes shocked to find 8-inch floppies drive nuclear deterrent
  http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/04/60-minutes-shocked-to-find-8-inch-floppies-drive-nuclear-deterrent/

Meanwhile I am hoping they are smart enough not to update the
hardware.  That older hardware can't be connect to Internet and can't
be hacked, cracked, or catch viruses as currently implemented.  Old
dedicated hardware like that is safer that way.

Bob

P.S. I still have at least one 8-inch floppy disk.  It contains a
bunch of my old assembly language programs.  No drive to read it now
though. :-)