Re: How to fix intermittently disappearing mouse pointer ?

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 07:47:52 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Steve Litt
> <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 22:58:18 +0900
> > Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Steve Litt
> >> <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

[clip Litt's bona-fides on RTFM]

> >> Happens with my XFCE. (Wheezy.)

[clip symptom description details]

> >> This isn't even intermittent. X11 is trying to do too much, that's
> >> all. That means it doesn't have time to keep the pointer updated.
> >
> > This is good information, Joel. Thanks for confirming it isn't
> > Openbox only!
> >
> > So my next question is this: How have you reduced your X11 task
> > load to eliminate the symptom? And how would one look at the
> > relative weight of tasks X11 is doing?
>
> I haven't bothered. I just move the mouse away and wait a few seconds
> for the pointer to come back. Maybe in your case you're getting worse
> then a few seconds delay?
>
> If my guess (It is a guess, I guess.) is correct, reducing the load on
> X is going to require deep diving in the code. The guess is based on

[clip some of Joel's suspicions and Litt's speculations]

> Just a question, is /tmp done in ram on your machine or on disk?

slitt@mydesq2:~$ mount | grep "on /tmp"
/dev/sdc7 on /tmp type ext4 (rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
slitt@mydesq2:~$

/dev/sdc is a Western Digital Black, I think about a gigabyte. I forgot
the command to tell me exactly.

Now I have a question for you, and it just might be more relevant than
it appears: Do you use claws-mail as your email client? What email
client do you use? I couldn't find an X-mailer in your headers. I'll
describe why this question is relevant in another post.

Thanks for your help.

SteveT