How to fix intermittently disappearing mouse pointer ?

I've googled this several times, but none of what I saw worked or
seemed relevant. The following seemed the most relevant, but turned out
not to be helpful:

I have Wheezy running Openbox (I'm not sure how to detect Openbox's
version, but I installed it normally with apt-get). I'm *not*
running unclutter. Sometimes, my mouse pointer disappears when the mouse
pointer comes to rest on anything with popup text, which is very
obstructive (if you've ever worked on a computer that does this, you
know what I mean).

Often, this symptom doesn't happen for the first few minutes after
starting X, but then later does. It appears not to happen in Xfce, but
I didn't test Xfce for hours, so I can't be sure. It appears not to
happen with another user (I made user test), but once again, I didn't
test user test for hours. I even copied all files from /home/slitt
to /home/test, and the symptom didn't appear, and then when I went back
to /home/test the symptom disappeared, for at least a few minutes.

I suspect, for not much of a reason, that the symptom is triggered when
the screen changes, either because it times out and goes blank, or
because I ran a Youtube movie full screen. Due to the time it takes to
close everything, log out, run startx, and try again, this intermittent
has been slow to investigate.

Intermittents are slow to solve because diagnostic tests are
inconclusive. Eventually I'll nail this thing, but if any of you has
had experience with this problem and remembers the solution, you could
cut a lot of time off my investigation.

Thanks,

SteveT