Re: /dev/random5

2014/08/02 11:01 "Joel Rees" <joel.rees@gmail.com>:

> (For Lisi and Bob and others ;-/)
>
> [...]
> Now, the random typing is not necessary.

And it occurs to me in the morning that I forgot to explain Paul's question.

As I understand it, he's asking whether any of us on the users list has anaylyzed the output of both /dev/random and /dev/urandom .  Not just whether any of us are having issues with blocking, but with the randomness as well.

Unfortunately, the answer seems to be that none of us who understood the question seem to care enough to find out whether we have issues.

I would like to have the time to look at the code in the debian repos versus the upstream, to get an idea what to test for, and actually look for entropy exhaustion cases and mitigations. But I'm having trouble actually making the time.

(Entropy itself doesn't just disappear, really, it's a matter of how it's handled.)

--
joel rees

computer storage is just fancy paper
the cpu is just a fancy pen