Re: aptitude / apt-get status output

On 2014-08-03 18:04 +0200, John Bleichert wrote:

> After running update/upgrade, I always get the usual status messages:
>
> root@boogie:~# aptitude update
> <...>
> Current status: 33 updates [+24], 25530 new [+24].

It means there are 33 upgradable packages, 24 more than before you ran
"aptitude update", and 25530 packages which you haven't looked at yet
("aptitude forget new" resets those).

> root@boogie:~# aptitude upgrade
> <...>
> Current status: 9 updates [-24].

24 packages have been upgraded, presumably the same 24 that became
upgradable by "aptitude update", and 9 packages have been held back.

> Is the meaning of this status line documented anywhere? Neither the
> aptitude nor apt-get man pages seems to mention it. Do I need to look
> in the source? Just curious.

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=626829.

Cheers,
       Sven