Re: Skype access cancelled for Debian versions before 7

On 03/08/2014, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun 03 Aug 2014 at 01:29:57 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have found, in the last day, that Microsoft has apparently cancelled
>> Skype access for versions of Debian before 7.x.
>
> How did you find out?

(Please excuse the verbose and convoluted material below in this part
- it is a poorly designed web site, designed to obscure the important
information.)

By going to the Skype web site;
http://www.skype.com/en/
to find whether a message relating to the error below, indicated a
problem with the server.

On the home page for Skype, is

"
Having trouble signing into your Skype app?
You may need to update your version of Skype.
"

In selecting the Support -> Support Home link, which leads to
https://support.skype.com/en/
then clicking on the link, under the heading "TOP FAQs", with the label
"I can't sign in to Skype..."
which leads to
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA109/i-can-t-sign-in-to-skype
on which web page is
"If you can’t sign into Skype because you can’t connect to Skype, check here.",
with the last two words of that sentence, being a label for a link that leads to
https://support.skype.com/en/category/CONNECTION_ISSUES/
which has

"
Why should I update my Skype Version? What do I need to do to update
my Skype version and continue using Skype?
"

which is a label fopr a link that leads to
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34438/why-should-i-update-my-skype-version-what-do-i-need-to-do-to-update-my-skype-version-and-continue-using-skype

which has

"Skype for Linux 2.2/4.2" which is a label for a clickable javascript
(<unpleasant word for faeces>) link, that opens up a kinmd of inline
pop-up, that includes the text (that prohibits copying and pasting, as
I assume that the inline pop-up, is entirely an image)
"1. Skype will display one of the messages circled below"
with the first one showing the error message below, in the login
dialogue box for Skype 2.2 (beta)
- see https://az545065.vo.msecnd.net/skype-faq-media/faq_content/skype/screenshots/fa34438/fa34438_ddd.png
and
"2. Open your browser and navigate to the downloads page ("downloads
page" being the label for a clickable link) and download the latest
version of Skype. Note that you will need at least a 1GHz processor
and at least 256MB of RAM to run the latesty version of Skype; check
here to ensure your Linux operating system is supported."
The word pair "check here" is a clickable link, that leads to
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10328/what-are-the-system-requirements-for-skype
which is one of the web pages that takes an unreasoinably long time to load.
I can not get the web page for the
"check here to ensure your Linux operating system is supported."
to load.

But, on the "Download Skype for Linux" web page, the only option for
Debian Linux, is "Debian 7.0 (multiarch)".

And, once again, the Skype web site is a <unpleasant word for faeces>
web site, with web pages taking over an hour to load.

Javascript <faeces>!

>> With the error message that I encountered, with my Skype 2.2 (beta)
>> running on Debian 6, I went to the Skype web site, and found that they
>> have cancelled access for all but the latest version of Skype, and,
>> for Debian, it apparently needs Debian 7.x, to run.
>
> What error message? Please post it.

The error message, at the login screen, when entering the password and clicking
<Sign In>, is

"
Sign in failed
Server connect failed
"
see (the image URL from the particular Skype web site web page)

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."