Re: New 64bit Installation--Next Round: /var

On Wednesday 30 July 2014 08:05:32 David Baron wrote:
> 1. Now that I have / on a large enough place to not worry over it (and /opt
> and /usr/local are bound to folders on the over-sized home partition), now
> time to deal with /var. Given a mere 2.7g, enough for a couple of KDE users
> and a number of apt downloads. Can easily go over 90% for large upgrades.
>
> So I tried moving it as well to the home and binding. Rebooted, system came
> up just fine(?) but I could not log into KDE. Got the error box about not
> able to access some tmp ... may space is full. This is usually caused by
> permission problems. Did sudo rsync -ax foul me up somehow? Or is there a
> problem accessing the tmp areas in this manner? Anyway, reverted, luckily
> without any problems. Ideas?
>
> Other alternative here is to move /usr to a nice partition waiting for it
> and then use the now free partition for a 3x larger area for /var. If
> moving the filesystem was problematic, might still be so.
>
> 2. Those mount --bind and some mount loops to squashfs data are now on my
> /etc/rc.local. The might be better served on /etc/fstab? Syntax?
>
> 3. Noticed more postings about grief with that little / partition from the
> install--the partition sizes are just those. Please, whoever is setting up
> the Debian install, take note.

If this is a new installation, as the subject says that it is, I cannot
understand why it is not easier just to reinstall?

Why not try using the text version of the installer?  I don't use the
graphical installer, and I have also never had a problem with the
partitioner.  Maybe there is a connection.

Lisi