RE: hp server hardware monitoring

Hi,
>> [...]
>> What may be relevant too is that on the g6 server Debian uses the
>> CCISS drivers for the raid hardware, the volume shows up as
>> /dev/cciss/c0d0
>> On the g7 and g8 hardware the raid volume simply shows up as /dev/sda
>
> cciss has been superseded by hpsa, "The hpsa driver is intended to supplant the cciss driver for newer Smart Array controllers.", cf.
> <https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/scsi/hpsa.txt>.

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

>> How can I get this to work under a g7 or g8 server. Do I need a newer
>> version of the package of do I need a different package?
>
> I generally avoid installing third-party tools on the bulk of my servers, and for simple monitoring the packages cciss-vol-status and nagios-plugins-standard from Debian will suffice:

I will try that too.  But....

>root@vz02:~# lsmod | grep -e cciss -e hpsa
>hpsa                   50787  2

Ok, I have that too
linein:~# lsmod | grep -e hpsa -e cciss
hpsa                   40765  2
scsi_mod              162269  5 hpsa,libata,sd_mod,sg,sr_mod

> root@vz02:~# cciss_vol_status /dev/sda
> /dev/sda: (Smart Array P420i) RAID 5 Volume 0 status: OK.

But I get...
linein:~# cciss_vol_status /dev/sda
cciss_vol_status: /dev/sda: Unknown SCSI device.

Which is weird because I have (copy from iLO):
  Model: HP Smart Array P420i Controller
  Firmware: Version 3.22

Now what?

Bonno Bloksma