Re: Finding a replacement for my ISP's smtp server

On 7/28/2014 5:27 PM, Brian wrote:
> On Mon 28 Jul 2014 at 16:08:44 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

>>> You never really answered my questiom. If you place something in a
>>> public place, a mailserver, for example, why should it be a criminal
>>> offence to look at it. If you did not want it to be seen you have the
>>> solution at hand.
>>>

>> If your car is in a public parking lot, does that mean I can get in and
>> drive it off?
>
> I never said that you could. I guess that would be unacceptable in every
> country except in the most extenuating of circumstances.

So is port scanning, in many countries.

> I was talking about looking at something. How do you send (or not send,
> as the case may be) email through a server if you do not look at it?

Even trying to open the door on your car (to see if it is locked) can be
breaking and entering, whether or not you took something.

>   brian@desktop:~$ telnet smtp.verizon.net 25
>   Trying 206.46.232.100...
>   telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
>
>   brian@desktop:~$ telnet smtp.verizon.net 465
>   Trying 206.46.232.100...
>   Connected to smtp.verizon.net.
>   Escape character is '^]'.
>
> Now I know the smarthost setting in exim requires port 465.

That is the way the default is set up.  But it is not cast in concrete;
it is a configuration parameter.

> Anything wrong with this? Is nmap more or less evil?

As others have said - in some countries it is illegal - just like trying
to open your car door (or a window on your house).

Which also begs the question - why would you need to do a port scan on
your ISP?  That's what help files are for.

You seem to think anything on the internet is there for your personal
benefit.  That is NOT the case.

Jerry